Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Onions and Figs
This is a flavorful side dish. We often add cheese on top, but it's delightful without, as well.
- 1 Cookie Sheet
- 1 Mandolin For slicing the onion very thin
- 4 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2/3 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper or 1/4 tsp Chinese 5 Spice
- 2 lbs Brussels Sprouts, Quartered
- 1 ea Onion, Very Thinly Sliced increase to 2 if like onions
- 5 ea Dried Figs, Finely Chopped or Dates, Finely Chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Munk Fruit Xylitol, or other Sugar Substitute optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the avocado oil, salt and pepper.
- Add the quartered brussels sprouts and onion and toss well until the vegetables are coated with oil.
- Spread them evenly on a cookie sheet and cover with foil. Bake covered for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Dice the figs and put them in a bowl with olive oil and sugar substitute, allowing them to hydrate and soften a little.
- Remove the sprouts and onions from the oven and toss with the fix mixture.
- Serve while still hot. Top with crumbled feta (optional).