Goat Cheese and Arugula Salad
This is a wonderful flavorful salad. The dressing can be used on any salad, but it's best on stronger tasting greens like spinach, kale, or arugula.
- 1 Jar with Lid for the dressing
- 1 Bowl to toss the salad
- 3 tbsp Shallot Diced Finely
- 2 tsp Champagne Vinegar optional, or other vinegar
- 2 tsp Sugar Substitute, Like Monk Fruit, Erythrital, etc. or 1/8 tsp stevia
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 4 cups Arugula
- 2 cups Green or Red Leaf Lettuce
- 1/3 cup Walnuts, Chopped and Toasted
- 1/2 cup Artichoke Hearts Chopped or avocado
- 3 oz Goat Cheese Coarsely Crumbled
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Finely dice the shallot. (I like to use my mandolin and then chop it.)
- Place the shallot in a jar with vinegar, sugar substitute, and salt. This will brine and soften the shallot. Let rest for 10 minutes. Then add the olive oil and mix well. This dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for a week.
- Wash, dry and chop the arugula and lettuce. Toast the walnuts in a small frying pan on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Watch them carefully.
- Place the arugula and lettuce in the bowl and toss with half of the salad dressing. Plate the salad and divide the artichoke, goat cheese, walnuts, and black pepper on the top of each salad. Drizzle with a few drops of dressing using a spoon.
If you are making fewer salads use 2 tsp of dressing per salad and toss it. The dressing doesn't work as well if you pour it on top. When serving keep the remainder of the dressing on the table in a small container with a serving spoon so that everyone can have as much dressing as they choose.